Εβδομάδα Trekking - Μετέωρα & Όλυμπος (MO 1)
• Hike the peaks and pinnacles of Mount Olympus
• Discover the monasteries of the Meteora
• Visit one of the few still occupied monasteries
• Follow the trail of the 12 Olympian gods of Greek mythology
• Hike through the Enipeas Gorge to see picturesque waterfalls and lakes
• Explore the peaks of the Muses Plateau
• Enjoy some free time at leisure in Thessaloniki
Trip Code: MO 1
Duration: 8 days / 7 Nights
Group size: 2 to 8 persons
Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Participants should be in good physical condition with a bit of hiking experience.
Day 1: Thessaloniki Int. Airport - Meteora
Your guide will meet you upon arrival at Thessaloniki International Airport (SKG). We will transfer you to Kastraki (driving time about 3,5 hours), a village lying between the spectacular rocks of Meteora and check into our guesthouse for our overnight stay. A dinner in a local tavern will follow.
Meals: Dinner. Overnight stay in Kastraki
Day 2: Meteora
We begin our tour with a hike through the majestic pillars of faith - where the famous monasteries of Meteora, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, are perched atop sandstone peaks. The best way to explore the beauty of this unique area is on foot; walking along the same trails the monks did hundreds of years ago.
- Trekking Time:4 hours Trek Difficulty Level: Easy / Moderate
-Trek Altitude: 275m - 330m - 470m - 275m
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Overnight stay in Kastraki
Day 3: Meteora - Mount Olympus
After breakfast, we will visit one of the six inhabited monasteries which are open to the public. Our tour of the Meteora Monasteries will continue with short breaks added for photo and sightseeing opportunities so that everyone has time to enjoy the truly majestic view. We will then drive (about 2 hours) to the town of Litochoro which is located on the slopes of Mount Olympus.
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Overnight stay in Litochoro
Day 4: Enipeas gorge
Today we will walk through the famous gorge of Enipeas. Our route is part of the E4 European long distance path. There are many picturesque waterfalls, bridges and small lakes to admire as we walk through this beautiful area, crossing the river many times until we will reach Litochoro, our final destination.
- Trekking Time: 6,5 hours. Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Trek Altitude: 1100m - 350m
- Meals: Breakfast,Packed lunch, Dinner. Overnight stay in Litochoro
Day 5: Muses Plateau
Our hiking trail starts from a location named "Gortsia", leading us through a lovely dense forest to the Muses Plateau where our Mountain Hostel is located at an altitude of 2650m / 8694ft. The last part of the hike through the alpine scenery offers amazing views of the plains of Northern Greece, the Aegean Sea and the impressive peak "Stefani", the Throne of Zeus.
- Trekking Time: 7 hours. Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Trek Altitude: 1050m - 2650m. Trekking Distance: 13,4 Km
- Meals: Breakfast,Packed lunch, Dinner. Overnight stay at the Mountain Hostel
Day 6: Muses Plateau - Peaks
After breakfast we will start our hiking tour to the peaks. We'll walk along the foot of the Peaks "Mytikas" and "Stefani" and then later on the European walking route E4 up to the peak "Skala" 2866m/9403ft. We will continue hiking to the peak "Skolio" 2912m / 9554ft, the second highest peak of the mountain, where we have a lunch break enjoying the magnificent view tothe peak "Mytikas" 2918m / 9576ft before descending to Mountain Hostel A at 2100m
- Trekking Time: 4 hours. Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Trek Altitude: 2650m - 2866m - (2918m) - 2912m - 2100m
- Meals: Breakfast, Packed lunch, Dinner. Overnight stay in Mountain Hostel A
Day 7: Thessaloniki
After breakfast, we will descend from our Mountain Hostel, have a break in Litochoro and drive back to Thessaloniki (driving time 1 hour). In the evening we will enjoy a farewell dinner at a local tavern.
- Trekking Time:4 hours Trek Difficulty Level: Easy
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Overnight stay in Thessaloniki
Day 8: Departure
After breakfast, we transfer you to Thessaloniki International Airport for your return flight.
- Meals: Breakfast.
Please note that this tour is subject to change at the discretion of the tour leader, according to weather conditions or circumstances beyond our control.
2017 Trip Dates
July 02 to July 09,
August 01 to August 08 and
Sept. 02 to Sept. 09
Also available as a private tour any time between July 01 and Sept. 30, 2017
Price / person: € 986,-
Price is based on double occupancy. Single supplement € 100,-
√ 5 nights hotel accommodation in double rooms with en-suite facilities
√ 2 nights in Mountain Hostels, in dormitories.
√ 7 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 picnic lunches and 7 dinners.
√ Luggage transfer.
√ All local transfers as per itinerary.
√ English-speaking tour guide (full escort).
√ All activities as per itinerary.
× Transfer to and from Greece
× All personal expenses
× Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
× Other sites of interest not included in the itinerary
× Outdoor activities which are not part of this itinerary
× Meals if not mentioned above
× Monastery Entrance fees
× Travel Insurance and Personal accident insurance
Transfers from and to other airports/cities can be arranged with an additional cost.
We select accommodation which has been personally inspected and experienced by our team.
We have chosen traditional hotels and guesthouses, with a friendly and very homely atmosphere, comfortable and fully equipped with en-suite facilities.
Services at the Mountain hostels include: Bunk beds, pillows / pillow cases and blankets. There is also a restaurant, showers (only cold water) and toilets. Guests are welcome to carry their own bed linen / sheets and towels for personal usage.